Monday, February 6, 2012

A genetic "gift" before turning 30

Before I was thirty years old, I had received news of a genetic condition that affected my father for many years.  As a teenager, I watched him progressively age very rapidly.  After suffering so many strokes, he could no longer walk or talk by the age of 51 and eventually succumbed to the disease at the age of 55.

When I learned that I had a 50/50 chance of also having the exact same genetic mutation, I was devastated!  An emotional wreck!  I had two small children and my husband and I decided the best thing for our family at the time was for him to be a Stay-At-Home-Dad.  I was enjoying a successful career in Sales and had to keep everything together because I had no other choice.  My brother and sister each also had the same 50/50 chance, as well as my own two children.

I began an obsessive quest of researching everything I could about the disease that took my Dad over 11 years to end up with the correct diagnosis, because it is so rare.  The internet became my worst enemy and life travelling on the road unbearable; nothing but myself and my worst thoughts to keep me company.  I made some knee-jerk decisions, out of necessity.  But now, five years later I can take great comfort in the fact that none of those decisions were accidental.

Now, I am living a life more full and passionately than at any other point.  I have had my health challenges since then, but thankfully am graced with the wisdom to know what to do about it and pray for the patience in the challenges that remain mysterious.  My life is full as a busy, full-time working wife and mother.  But for some reason I have a deep need and calling to begin a discussion for any others who may have also experienced a similar situation.

If you have just discovered a genetic illness in your family, hold on!  Life will continue and you will get the answers that you desire.  In time, you will know what to do and you can overcome!  My journey (thus far) has taught me don't WAIT...to live for today, have FUN, laugh, follow your passions...and that is why I don't buy green bananas anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment