Friday, May 4, 2012

Stupid Sinus Infections!!

I had a stupid sinus infection last week that I was absolutely miserable from (but thankfully have recovered)!!  Does anyone without a genetic condition experience stress and anxiety from a stupid sinus infection??  In the days that I allow myself to have a pity party, I think not.  Nobody understands.


To explain, because I know that I have CADASIL, I have been told to never take anything (either prescription or over-the-counter) that could be vasoconstricting; or increasing blood pressure.  Because the genetic condition creates a fragility amongst the micro blood vessels in the brain, it predisposes effected offspring to stroke.  Therefore, I can't ever take Sudafed; or any medication for nasal congestion.  I just have to suffer through it.

I used to feel sorry for myself when I was so congested but wouldn't take anything.  My dad suffered from a major stroke when he was only 44 years old from taking Sudafed.  To this day, I have a 'fear' about over the counter or herbal medications or remedies because of this.  I work in the pharmaceutical industry, helping shape my bias that only 'prescribed' medications are "safe".  While I certainly realize that my frame of mind is warped, it's substantiated.  When I saw my dad take Sudafed for a cold and then end up with a massive stroke...it scared the crap out of me!  We didn't know until over ten years later that it was the genetic condition that made him more vulnerable to the vasoconstricting effects of Sudafed.  (But there are MANY other cases of individuals having strokes after taking it without CADASIL).

Anyway, my point is that I now look at it with gratefulness.  Because I went through genetic testing, I now know that I can't ever take Sudafed (or anything containing the active ingredient phenylephrine).  If I didn't get the genetic testing done, every time I had congestion I would've felt even more worried, thinking to myself, "should I take Sudafed or not"?  If I take it there could be serious consequences being positive.  If I don't take it I'm miserable.  Because I know that I have it, I don't take it.  And that's okay with me.


I doubt many people contemplating genetic testing think that getting their results will effect the way they treat a sinus infection.  And that's why I'm here!  I was told that there were no treatments or cures for my condition, therefore consider not to get tested.  But last week, I was glad I did!  No Sudafed in this house!

No comments:

Post a Comment