Sunday, March 25, 2012

What Does Your Intuition Tell You?

  • Do you trust your intuition?  
  • Do you know when it's speaking to you?  
  • Does it speak clearly?  
  • Do you listen to it, or is it easier to ignore?

I was so young when I went through predictive genetic testing, but my immediate instinct or intuition was to get tested. Thankfully, I never questioned myself but I understand how many could. And it is this perpetual never-ending anxiety at this time in your life that can lead you astray from what your instinct has been telling you from the first moment.


My husband and I made some pretty big decisions in our family right after my test results were positive, but I always felt right about them.  It wasn't until I decided to take a voluntary demotion which required a relocation to a different part of Wisconsin that I learned what ignoring my intuition could cost me some day.  I had been making a significant commute for a few months into my new territory, while my family was still located back in my hometown and I was obviously growing tired of the hotels and driving.  We had been looking for homes for quite some time with a Realtor, to no avail.  I'm not a patient person and I couldn't wait to get out of the circumstances I was in.  I knew that moving to a different zip code wasn't going to eliminate my problems, I wasn't running away from anything.  In fact, just the opposite.  I wanted to work less and spend more time with my family after getting my test results and one of the only ways to accomplish this while keeping my career was to transfer to a new territory.  


After looking at over thirty houses with our Realtor, we "settled" and made an offer.  This wasn't our dream home. My oldest son was about to start Kindergarden and we didn't want to rent.  We were ready to create our new beginning.  We loved the location of this new house, but didn't necessarily love the home.  It was our intention to remodel and add-on, but it offered a great location by a private lake with lots of land for our boys and dogs to grow up on.  


Ten months after closing, our area received record rainfall and our basement foundation partially cracked and sank!  You could see the trees through the crack in our foundation.  Our insurance denied our claim and the Structural Engineers we hired stated  the cracks had been there before purchasing the house and the previous owners had gone to great lengths to cover up the repairs and never disclosed anything.  We hired attorneys but the previous owners filed for bankruptcy and we only received $356.  The cost to fix the problem for us was almost $30,000 which we had to pay out of our pocket.


It was during this time that I was driving and listening to something on the Oprah channel on satellite radio.  I don't remember what the show was about, but someone said about their intuition, "it doesn't speak loudly, but when it does speak to me, it is crystal clear."  That was it! In that instant I remembered the sneaky suspicion I had about buying THIS house.  I knew something didn't feel right beforehand, but I chose to ignore my intuition because of impatience and laziness and we paid the price!  It is because of this experience that I don't ignore my intuition.  In fact, I rely upon it!  It doesn't speak so softly anymore, it is LOUD and it is CLEAR now and I am very thankful for that!!


If you're deciding whether or not to get genetic testing done, my advice to you is to learn to hear your intuition.   If you don't have an intuitive feeling about whether or not you should go through the testing, wait. It's okay to wait to HEAR your intuition.  Once you hear what your gut is saying, then listen.  Wait for it to speak clearly.  Then move forward and don't look back and live with regrets.  Once you hear what your intuition is saying to you...LISTEN to it!  It is right!  All of the time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment